What are Veneers?
Veneers are very thin pieces of durable, tooth shaped composite or porcelain that are custom made (for shape and colour) and then bonded onto the front of the teeth to create a beautiful and attractive smile. Veneers can completely reshape your teeth and smile. They can often be alternatives to crowns and the ideal solution in treating many dental conditions.
What Types of Dental Veneers are there?
There are 2 types of Veneers.
- Porcelain Veneers
- Composite Veneers
Porcelain veneers are thin pieces of porcelain which are made to fit and colour match with your teeth. Veneers are strong and are bonded on to the front of your teeth. Veneers recreate the natural look of teeth.
Composite Veneers are a tooth-coloured resin material that is used to form the dental veneers. It can be applied to teeth which are stained, chipped, or have old white filling.
Composite Veneers can be bonded in a single dental visit. Composite Veneers are not as durable as Porcelain Veneers or Porcelain Crowns. However, Composite Veneers are a comparatively less expensive option.
What kind of problems do Dental Veneers Fix?
- Discoloured Teeth – resulting from Root Canal Treatment, Stains, or any other reason
- Worn Down Teeth
- Broken or Chipped Teeth
- Irregular shaped Teeth
- Uneven Teeth
- Crooked Teeth or misaligned Teeth
- Gaps between Teeth
What is the Procedure for Porcelain Veneers?
Generally 3 dental appointments are required to get dental veneers. These appointments are spread across a 2-4 week period.
First Visit: Diagnosis & Treatment Planning
- We discuss with you and ascertain what you wish to achieve.
- We will examine and discuss whether Veneers are appropriate for your teeth or we should consider other options.
- We will explain the procedure to you.
- We will take X-ray and impression of your tooth/teeth and mouth.
Second Visit: Preparation
- We prepare your tooth/teeth by removing 0.5 millimetre of enamel from the tooth surface. If necessary, we will give local anaesthesia.
- We will make a model and send to the lab for preparing Veneers.
- We place temporary veneers while your permanent veneers are being prepared. This generally takes 1-2 weeks.
Final Visit: Bonding
- We will temporarily fit your permanent veneers on your tooth to make sure they are a fit and proper match.
- If necessary, we will do fit and color match.
- Final bonding of the permanent veneers onto your tooth.
How Long Will Porcelain Veneers Last?
Veneers generally last between 7 and 15 years. After this time, the veneers would need to be replaced. The longevity of your dental veneers will depend on your oral health hygiene habits in the past and in the future.
Is There Any Special Care required for Dental Veneers?
No Special care is required for dental veneers. However, good oral hygiene habits are recommended including brushing, flossing and rinsing.
We have many different options for cosmetic dentistry, depending on the results you are looking for and what your current teeth look like. Some options that may be available for you could be, Teeth Whitening, Porcelain Veneers, Composite Veneers, Crowns, Dental Implants, Tru line, or even sometimes a Filling may be what you need.